The First Minister with SNP Council candidates today on top of the Law for the Manifesto Launch
VISION WILL SEE RENEWABLES REINDUSTRIALISE CITY
JOBS AND FAMILIES AT THE HEART OF COMMITMENTS
Dundee SNP have today (Tuesday) launched their manifesto for the upcoming council elections, with a commitment to put jobs and families at the heart of the Council’s work, while pledging to reindustrialise the city in the renewables sector.
The First Minister Alex Salmond attended the launch in Dundee where, under the SNP since March 2009, it has gone from being a council with the second highest council tax in Scotland to being one of the most cost-effective councils in Scotland.
Key pledges include transforming the city to make it a hub for renewable technology industries, creating new jobs and apprenticeships as well as investing in education to improve performance and invest extra in leisure and sport facilities.
The SNP pledges £320m to support the local economy through building council houses and five new primary schools, as well as freezing council tax until 2016 and introducing a living wage for all council staff.
Speaking at the launch, Dundee SNP Group Leader Councillor Ken Guild said:
“Dundee SNP are very excited about our policy platform for the years ahead. Since taking over the administration in 2009, Dundee has gone from being a council with poor education inspection reports and the second highest council tax in Scotland, to being one of the most cost-effective councils in Scotland
“Over the next few years we will work tirelessly with other councils and the Scottish Government to build for recovery. Together we will continue to invest in Housing, in schools, support the redevelopment of the Waterfront, and ensure Dundee cashes in on the booming renewables industry.
“Our manifesto commitments include supporting families and creating the right environment for jobs, to make Dundee an even better place to live, work and bring up a family.
“Dundee has real ambition and real potential. We want to re-industrialise this city in the renewables sector, as well as investing in our life sciences, video games and digital media sectors.
“We have achieved a lot in the last three years – but we want to go so much further. We will build for recovery, and above all we will give Dundonians the Council they deserve.”
SNP contact 0131 348 5684, local media contact: 01382 903202, firstname.lastname@example.org
Key manifesto pledges include:
• Transforming Our City: We will make our city a hub for renewable technology industries creating new jobs and apprenticeships. Our V&A and Waterfront projects are already transforming Dundee and bringing investment and jobs.
• Investing in Education: Your SNP Council is improving educational performance and investing extra in the city’s education, leisure and sport facilities.
• £320 million To Support Local Economy: investing £320 million to support the local economy. Building Council houses and five new primary schools; completely rebuilding Harris Academy.
• Freezing Council Tax until 2016: Committed to freezing your Council Tax until 2016. This has already saved the average Band D householder more than £700 over the last four years.
• Council Efficiency Improved: Council services have been streamlined; cost-savings have been made on back-room functions while front-line services have been protected. Dundee is now one of the most cost-effective local authorities in Scotland.
• Introducing a Living Wage for lower-paid staff and sticking to our no-compulsory redundancies policy for Council employees.
• A Healthier and Greener Dundee: Our investment in sport and leisure facilities, recycling and green initiatives will keep Dundee in the forefront of the SNP Government’s ambitious targets for reducing Scotland’s carbon footprint.
Alex Salmond with SNP Council Leader Ken Guild